I know I’m a little late on this, but I figure most will have already read through the throngs of other best of ’12 posts by now increasing the chances that people will actually read this. Below you will find (in no particular order because that’s impossible) 12 tasty tracks from last year that made me smile, take my pants off, dance and close my eyes whilst nodding my head incessantly.
12. U-Turn (one half of indie disco outfit Oliver) released this exceptionally catchy masterpiece as a free download early last year. It set off 2 pants off dance offs and provided the theme song to one of the best weekends I’ve ever had.
11. Cassian can do no wrong in my book. He’s both an amazing producer and DJ. His take on Snake Charmer by Bag Raiders is proof of us his uncanny ability to make it pop without going too far. This got a lot of plays during the first half the year.
10. She came through and slayed it when she played here this past summer making for one of my favorite sets from last year. I don’t know if I was more intoxicated by the tunes she played or her beautiful face and presence in the booth. Anyway, this collabo between Ms Lunoe and fellow Aussie Touch Sensitive was my summer anthem.
9. This gave me goosebumps the first time I heard it. Had it on repeat for like a week.
8.Hands down my favorite track off their stellar Flo Jam EP and one of 2 tracks from this British duo that made my list. That vocal gets me everytime.
7. 2012 saw a HUGE amount of producers utilizing vocals from 90s r&b hits as the focal point for their tracks. A formula that worked especially well in this case.
6. The French Express camp can do no wrong and anyone who’s read my posts over the past year should know how strongly I feel about that fact. Head honcho Perseus started the year off way strong with the release of this balmy beauty.
5. The original version of this track is also beautiful. It was extremely difficult for me to choose between the 2.
4. And we find ourselves back in Australia again with David Augusts take on the summer anthem “With You” by Flight Facilities. August adds a deep dark driving baseline and puts emphasis on the chorus which increases the sentiment of the original.
3. Of course the original was great as well, but I don’t think anyone can touch this remix from Swedish production duo Adriatique. Absolutely stunning. These guys made huge strides last year with some amazing releases and I expect more of the same from them this year.
2. Duke Dumont’s The Giver. Not enough good things can be said about the original. It was a festival staple and appeared on everyone’s (including my) mixtapes for about 2 months leading up to it’s release. People were starting to get over it until the remix EP was released featuring the version you will hear below from up and coming Belgian producer Locked Groove. It instilled new life in and provided a take that honestly competes with the original. I actually like it better.
1.Mexicali production duo Climbers rank among my favorite in the game right now and this is the track that cemented that fact. They started off the year with releases on LA based label Culprit, Nervous subsidiary “Nurvous” and followed them up with this amazing release on Get Physical. Lets not overlook the extensive remix duty they put in as well. I expect even bigger things from them this year.
Stay tuned!! Big things coming this year. Cheers:)